Xanadu

Xanadu
In Xanadu did Kublah Khan a stately pleasure dome decree

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Epic Tomato Fail

Last night as I was staking up a plant whose exuberance had overflown its supports, the main stalk just... Broke. Shattered, essentially. I didn't even feel or hear it give out. I was left with about 1/3 of the original plant, a shadow of its former self, and three large broken off branches that between them had at least 40 flowers. And right at flowering/ fruit set time. Just a tragedy.

I've been hastily researching and trying different methods to salvage at least one branch but so far no luck. I fear the Cherokee Purple is for all intents and purposes done.  Damn.

The striped yellow/ red pineapple has lots of blooms but not much fruit setting. Today I read that can be caused by excessively warm night temps and we certainly do have that here in the mid Atlantic. He's got one really good fruit and two or three little ones but that's it.  He gets bigger and gets blooms but he's just not fruiting and I know he's got everything he needs in water and nutrients.  Damn.

And the poor Roma paste tomato is well, just a disaster. I had him under the cherry tree, moved him to evade the tree's blight, and he has put out more branches and flowers and a little fruit, but it's just not going well. The fruits are tiny, about the size of My thumb, and only about a dozen. I've been really babying him, but the blight must be in soil or stems or roots. Damn.

It's a cruel irony that My first two years were clueless slam dunks with great results and this year I thought I was competent and finally planted the sexy pineapple tomato of My dreams, and the whole tomato effort has been mildly accursed. Though I must add that word amongst gardeners is this is being a very tough year, and I did plant too late.  I comfort Myself with the success of the Hail Mary hardneck garlic crop.

Oh well. That why God gave us farmer's markets.

The rock star of the front yard this year is the poblano pepper which is absolutely magnificent and producing fruit like a total champ.  A neighbor brought Me some figs a few days ago and I returned the container with poblanos in it. SeƱor Poblano is right at the garden gate too, so by-passers can enjoy its magnificence and thus far, I don't believe any have been non-consensually harvested over the fence.  The basil is knocking it out of the ballpark too.

Dinner tonight was an empanada from the Sunday market, and I'm looking forward to Thursday when boy c will bring his meatballs for Me to eat in the evening (oh, you dirty, dirty people) for dinner. I'm thinking a nice toasted roll, red sauce, cheese, and some fresh green peppers.

And in other news, the landscape designer has asked when I'm free in the next week to talk about the plan. Not sure if this is a touch base sanity check or the official discussion of the official draft integrated plan. He said he has been waiting for some estimates in order to decide which of certain options are feasible and which aren't.  I'm getting really excited to see what he comes up with. 

I had boy c treat the yards with some insecticide three days ago and thus far I don't seem to have had any additional chigger-like bites while I'm out watering. The significant damage is healing slowly but getting there. 

Finally, I have had the idea that if the cherry tree comes down, I might slice the trunk and some branches into disks of even thickness and use them for some decorative purpose, maybe outdoor table tops or an accent piece to hang inside. Having boy c around has gotten Me thinking about that sexy atomic/ sputnik chandelier I've been wanting... if I got one salvaged/re-wired from Europe, he could assess its safety and do the install.

Hmmm...

I'm quite impressed with boy c. I now know he got really frustrated with last week's big project, but he kept calm and gracious with Me nonetheless, and he persisted. That's hugely important. I have zero patience for men who take their frustrations out around Me. I also know he has started a job that involves being out all day in the heat wave, with minimal breaks, but he stays focused on the good opportunity and I don't hear him complaining, making like a martyr, or feeling sorry for himself. Such a good attitude, I like men who know how to man up in the right moments. Yes, he is making good inroads with Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment